Wednesday, July 22, 2026

Beach Walk #10: Gaviota to San Onofre Beach

The next section I walked was a  -0.5 tide on Thursday July 2. My friend Monica and I started this one at the eastern side because I had never accessed the beach at San Onofre before. San Onofre Beach is one of several spots where I had noticed cars parked when driving down the 101 South. This particular spot is just over a mile past the Maricopa exit. After a decline down to the beach we set off at 6:40AM toward Gaviota. 


Entrance to San Onofre

San Onofre Parking Area

Maricopa Exit

This stretch of beach was narrow and quiet. There needs to be a low tide to enjoy this section as well as to walk to Gaviota. There was little tar and no seaweed. There are many interesting rock formations. 

San Onofre Beach


Toward Gaviota

We went a bit beyond the pier as far as you can to make the walk 2.5 beach miles. This is the western most place you can walk since the ocean comes up to cliff above the coast (and Vandenberg is a closed beach space).

Gaviota Pier

Bridge at Gaviota

Thanks to Monica for joining me for this section! It was 2.5 miles of unique beach--39 km (24.5miles) down!



Related Posts:
Gaviota State Beach
San Onofre Beach

No comments:

Post a Comment